About Me (Welcome!):
I’m an anthropologist (M.Sc.) and philosopher (Ph.D. candidate) with an interest in the biocultural evolution, history of the mind-universe relation, and the human future situated within a big historical context. I am currently working as a Ph.D. student at the Global Brain Institute embedded within the Evolution, Cognition, and COmplexity (ECCO) group, and a blogger/vlogger attempting to build philosophical theory. Below you will find a sample of my academic publications, working papers, ongoing projects, as well as a sample of my popular science writing:
- Last, C. 2018. Cosmic Evolutionary Philosophy and a Dialectical Approach to Technological Singularity. Information. 9(4): 78. DOI: 10.3390/info9040078.
- Last, C. 2017. Big Historical Foundations for Deep Future Speculations: Cosmic Evolution, Atechnogenesis, and Technocultural Civilization. Foundations of Science. 22(1): 39-124. DOI: 10.1007/s10699-015-9434-y
- Last, C. 2017. Global Commons in the Global Brain. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 114: 48-64. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2016.06.013
- Last, C. 2015. Information-energy metasystem model. Kybernetes, 44(8/9), pp. 1298-1309. DOI: 10.1108/K-11-2014-0231
- Last, C. 2015. Human Metasystem Transition (HMST) Theory. Journal of Evolutionary & Technology. 25(1), 1-16.
- Last, C. 2014. Human Evolution, Life History Theory, and the End of Biological Reproduction. Current Aging Science. 7(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.2174/1874609807666140521101610
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain and the Future of Human Society. World Future Review. 6(2), 143-150. DOI: 10.1177/194675
- Last & Muh. 2013. Effects of Human Presence on Chimpanzee Nest Location in the Lebialem-Mone Forest Landscape, Southwest Region, Cameroon. Folia Primatologica, 84: 51-63.
- Last, C. 2013. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution (2009) by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending. vis-a-vis: Explorations of Anthropology, 12(1), 120-123.
- Lectures (video) | Lectures (written)
- Theory (video) | Theory (written)
- Commentary (video) | Commentary (written)
- Last, C. 2017. Temporality in Scientific Language and the Temporality of Historical Language. ECCO Working Paper. Submitted to: World Futures Review.
- Last, C. 2017. Towards a Big Historical Understanding of the Symbolic-Imaginary. ECCO Working Paper. Submitted to: Journal of Big History.
- Last, C. 2015. Singularity, Communism, Apocalypse! (an exploration). GBI Working Paper.
- Last, C. 2015. Offer Networks
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain Brochure
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain FAQ
- Last, C. 2016. Global Brain FAQ
- Last, C. 2014. Distributed Digital Democracy
- Last, C. & Kyriazis, M. 2014. A Survey of Transhumanist Perspectives on Radical Life Extension.
- Cosmic Evolutionary Philosophy and a Dialectical Approach to Technological Singularity
- Virtual Inverted Physics
Find posters/presentations: here.
My official blog is at The Advanced Apes, but I also post via the Huffington Post, and have published independently with Scientific American, Humanity+ Magazine, Business Insider, Serious Wonder, Singularity Hub, Svbtle, Jane Goodall Institute of Canada, American Humanist, among others. Here is a selected sample:
- Are Western Chimpanzees a New Species of Pan? (SciAm)
- Universality of Preadaptation for the Human Condition (SciAm)
- The Future of Intelligence (Humanity+ Magazine)
- Pathway to the Global Brain (Humanity+ Magazine)
- The Road to Superintelligence (Huffington Post)
- The End of the Universe (Huffington Post)
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator Alicia Herbert (partnered with PBS Digital Studios). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
- Origin of Life
- The Future of the Internet!
- Is There Life on Mars?
- Can We Live Forever?
- Where and When Did Humans Evolve?
Finally, I’m generally interested in podcasts, radio, and other mediums for sharing ideas. Here are a sample of appearances:
- Pathway to the Global Brain (via SeriousWonder)
- NASA Study and Civilization Collapse (via The Morning News)
- Global Brain & Singularities (w/ Michael Garfield) (via Reality Sandwich)
- Exploring the Global Commons (w/ Manel Mselmi)
- The Desire to Know (w/ The Ascend Podcast)
- The Future of Work and Death (w/ Gray Scott)