UPDATED: JANUARY 2015
About Me (Welcome!):
I’m an evolutionary anthropologist (M.Sc.), with an interest in biocultural evolution, systems theory, replication, information, as well as the future of culture, technology, and consciousness. My background is in anthropology, biology, cybernetics, and history. I am currently working as a Ph.D student at the Global Brain Institute, and you can find my blog at The Advanced Apes. Below you will find a sample of my academic publications, working papers, ongoing projects, as well as a sample of my popular science writing:
- Last, C. 2015. Human Metasystem Transition (HMST) Theory. Journal of Evolutionary & Technology. 25(1), 1-16.
- Last, C. 2014. Human Evolution, Life History Theory, and the End of Biological Reproduction. Current Aging Science. 7(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.2174/1874609807666140521101610
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain and the Future of Human Society. World Future Review. 6(2), 143-150. DOI: 10.1177/194675
- Last & Muh. 2013. Effects of Human Presence on Chimpanzee Nest Location in the Lebialem-Mone Forest Landscape, Southwest Region, Cameroon. Folia Primatologica, 84: 51-63.
- Last, C. 2013. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution (2009) by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending. vis-a-vis: Explorations of Anthropology, 12(1), 120-123.
- Last, C. 2015. Big Historical Foundations for Deep Future Speculations: Cosmic Evolution, Atechnogenesis, and Omega Civilization. GBI Working Paper. submitted to: Foundations of Science.
- Last, C. 2015. Information-Energy Metasystem Model (IEMM): an exploration of fundamental control transitions throughout human evolution: from band organization to global organization. submitted to: Kybernetes.
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain Brochure
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain FAQ
- Last, C. 2014. Distributed Digital Democracy
- Last, C. & Kyriazis, M. 2014. A Survey of Transhumanist Perspectives on Radical Life Extension
- Last, C. 2014. Information-Energy Metasystem Model
- Vidal, C. & Last, C. 2014. Mass and Metabolism
- Last, C. 2014. Developing World Roadmap for the Global Village: From Here to 2050.
Find posters/presentations: here.
My official blog is at The Advanced Apes, but I also post via the Huffington Post, and have published independently with Scientific American, Humanity+ Magazine, Business Insider, Serious Wonder, Singularity Hub, Svbtle, Jane Goodall Institute of Canada, American Humanist, among others. Here is a selected sample:
- The Creative Universe (The Advanced Apes)
- “Her” and the Singularity (The Advanced Apes)
- Promises and Perils of Superintelligence (The Advanced Apes)
- Are Western Chimpanzees a New Species of Pan? (SciAm)
- Universality of Preadaptation for the Human Condition (SciAm)
- The Future of Intelligence (Humanity+ Magazine)
- Pathway to the Global Brain (Humanity+ Magazine)
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator (partnered with ). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator Alicia Herbert (partnered with PBS Digital Studios). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
- Origin of Life
- The Future of the Internet!
- Is There Life on Mars?
- Can We Live Forever?
- Where and When Did Humans Evolve?
Finally, I’m generally interested in podcasts, radio, and other mediums for sharing ideas. Here are a sample of appearances:
- Pathway to the Global Brain (via SeriousWonder)
- NASA Study and Civilization Collapse (via The Morning News)
- Global Brain & Singularities (w/ Michael Garfield) (via Reality Sandwich)