UPDATED: JANUARY 2015
About Me (Welcome!):
I’m an evolutionary anthropologist (M.Sc.), with an interest in biocultural evolution, big history, and the future of humanity. My background is in anthropology, biology, cybernetics, history, and philosophy. I am currently working as a Ph.D student at the Global Brain Institute, and you can find my blog at The Advanced Apes. Below you will find a sample of my academic publications, working papers, ongoing projects, as well as a sample of my popular science writing:
- Last, C. 2015. Big Historical Foundations for Deep Future Speculations: Cosmic Evolution, Atechnogenesis, and Technocultural Civilization. Foundations of Science. DOI: 10.1007/s10699-015-9434-y
- Last, C. 2015. Human Metasystem Transition (HMST) Theory. Journal of Evolutionary & Technology. 25(1), 1-16.
- Last, C. 2014. Human Evolution, Life History Theory, and the End of Biological Reproduction. Current Aging Science. 7(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.2174/1874609807666140521101610
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain and the Future of Human Society. World Future Review. 6(2), 143-150. DOI: 10.1177/194675
- Last & Muh. 2013. Effects of Human Presence on Chimpanzee Nest Location in the Lebialem-Mone Forest Landscape, Southwest Region, Cameroon. Folia Primatologica, 84: 51-63.
- Last, C. 2013. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution (2009) by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending. vis-a-vis: Explorations of Anthropology, 12(1), 120-123.
- Last, C. 2015. Information-Energy Metasystem Model (IEMM): an exploration of fundamental control transitions throughout human evolution: from band organization to global organization. submitted to: Kybernetes.
- Last, C. 2015. Self-Actualization in the Commons (Short Introduction). GBI Working Paper. Prepared for: Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain Brochure
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain FAQ
- Last, C. 2014. Distributed Digital Democracy
- Last, C. & Kyriazis, M. 2014. A Survey of Transhumanist Perspectives on Radical Life Extension
- Last, C. 2014. Information-Energy Metasystem Model
- Vidal, C. & Last, C. 2014. Mass and Metabolism
- Last, C. 2014. Developing World Roadmap for the Global Village: From Here to 2050.
Find posters/presentations: here.
My official blog is at The Advanced Apes, but I also post via the Huffington Post, and have published independently with Scientific American, Humanity+ Magazine, Business Insider, Serious Wonder, Singularity Hub, Svbtle, Jane Goodall Institute of Canada, American Humanist, among others. Here is a selected sample:
- The Creative Universe (The Advanced Apes)
- “Her” and the Singularity (The Advanced Apes)
- Promises and Perils of Superintelligence (The Advanced Apes)
- Are Western Chimpanzees a New Species of Pan? (SciAm)
- Universality of Preadaptation for the Human Condition (SciAm)
- The Future of Intelligence (Humanity+ Magazine)
- Pathway to the Global Brain (Humanity+ Magazine)
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator (partnered with ). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator Alicia Herbert (partnered with PBS Digital Studios). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
- Origin of Life
- The Future of the Internet!
- Is There Life on Mars?
- Can We Live Forever?
- Where and When Did Humans Evolve?
Finally, I’m generally interested in podcasts, radio, and other mediums for sharing ideas. Here are a sample of appearances:
- Pathway to the Global Brain (via SeriousWonder)
- NASA Study and Civilization Collapse (via The Morning News)
- Global Brain & Singularities (w/ Michael Garfield) (via Reality Sandwich)