UPDATED: JULY 2014
About Me (Welcome!):
I’m an evolutionary anthropologist (M.Sc.), with an interest in biocultural evolution, systems theory, replication, information, as well as the future of culture, technology, and consciousness. My background is in anthropology, biology, cybernetics, and history. I am currently working as a PhD student at the Global Brain Institute, and you can find my blog at The Advanced Apes. Below you will find a sample of my academic publications, working papers, ongoing project, as well as a sample of my popular science writing:
- Last, C. 2014. Human Evolution, Life History Theory, and the End of Biological Reproduction. Current Aging Science. 7(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.2174/1874609807666140521101610
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain and the Future of Human Society. World Future Review, 1-8. DOI: 10.1177/194675
- Last & Muh. 2013. Effects of Human Presence on Chimpanzee Nest Location in the Lebialem-Mone Forest Landscape, Southwest Region, Cameroon. Folia Primatologica, 84: 51-63.
- Last, C. 2013. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution (2009) by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending. vis-a-vis: Explorations of Anthropology, 12(1), 120-123.
- Last, C. 2014. Human Metasystem Transition Theory (HMST). Citation: Last, C. 2014. Human Metasystem Transition Theory (HMST). GBI Working Paper, 1-15.
- Last, C. 2014. Epilogue II – Roadblocks to Singularity. submitted for: Goertzel, B. & Goertzel, T. (eds.). The End of the Beginning: Life, Society, and Economy on the Brink of Singularity.
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain Brochure
- Last, C. 2014. Global Brain FAQ
- Last, C. 2014. Distributed Digital Democracy
- Last, C. & Kyriazis, M. 2014. A Survey of Transhumanist Perspectives on Radical Life Extension
- Last, C. 2014. The Future of Big History
- Last, C. 2014. Information-Energy Metasystem Model
- Vidal, C. & Last, C. 2014. Mass and Metabolism
- Last, C. 2014. Developing World Roadmap for the Global Village: From Here to 2050.
Find posters/presentations: here.
My official blog is at The Advanced Apes, but I also post via the Huffington Post, and have published independently with Scientific American, Humanity+ Magazine, Jane Goodall Institute of Canada, American Humanist, among others. Here is a selected sample:
- Are Western Chimpanzees a New Species of Pan? (SciAm)
- Universality of Preadaptation for the Human Condition (SciAm)
- Supervolcanoes in the Ancient World (SciAm)
- What Will the Internet be in 2050? (SciAm)
- The Future of Intelligence (Humanity+ Magazine)
- Pathway to the Global Brain (Humanity+ Magazine)
- Great Ape and Human Genetic Diversity (Jane Goodall Institute)
- Why New Religions? (American Humanist)
I have also built an animated science channel with animator/illustrator Alicia Herbert (partnered with PBS Digital Studios). The channel explores evolutionary science and futurism. You can find some of the videos below:
- Origin of Life
- The Future of the Internet!
- Is There Life on Mars?
- Can We Live Forever?
- Where and When Did Humans Evolve?
Finally, I’m generally interested in podcasts, radio, and other mediums for sharing ideas. Here are a sample of appearances:
- Pathway to the Global Brain (via SeriousWonder)
- NASA Study and Civilization Collapse (The Morning News)